Dadoo Block of Indian Shops
The proposed development of the Dadoo Block on Erven 1170, 1171, 1172, 1173, 1174, 1175, 1176, 1177, and 1202, 1203, 1204, 1205, 1206, 1207, 1208, 1209, bordered by Commissioner-, Market-, Joubert- and Rissik Streets Krugersdorp, necessitates a Heritage impact assessment (HIA) under Section 38 (Heritage Resource Management) of the National Heritage Resources Act, No 25 of 1999 (NHRA). The HIA was conducted by West Rand Heritage Consultants in 2008.
The first Indians arrived in Krugersdorp in 1897 and settled on the Western border of the Burgershoop Township, between Burgershoop and the location for black workers. Indian tradesmen gradually moved into more exclusive white areas. One of them was M.M. Dadoo who opened a business with residential facilities in Market Street, Krugersdorp in 1904. The municipality disputed Dadoo’s right to ownership in the exlusive white area in the High Court in 1919. The High Court ruled in favour of the municipality, but the Appeal Court ruled in favour of Dadoo Pty. The success of the Dadoo court case opened doors for other Indian traders in Krugersdorp. More settled in the area around the town hall and market square and by 1923 the people referred to the block east of the town hall as the “Dadoo Block”. The fact that many of these traders / owners were not removed from the properties during the political struggle and “apartheid” era, when black and other non-white merchants were dispossessed and evicted from their properties, is of remarkable significance in the history of Krugersdorp.
The significance of the Dadoo Block of Indian shops is enhanced by the important role that M.M. Dadoo’s son, Yusuf, played in the liberation struggle of the apartheid years, especially as it is the place of his birth and early childhood in Krugersdorp.
For more details please complete the contact form below.